A Beard In The Hand…

Home Forums Hunting Discussion Upland Hunting A Beard In The Hand…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Clayton Bolton 1 month, 1 week ago.

This topic has been viewed 552 times.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

You know the old saying:”A beard in the hand…”, oh wait…that’s bird. Well it’s kinda’ the same thing during spring turkey season here, can only take beards. Was in a prime area this morn, but heard no gobbles. Saw several hens and some un-identifiables. I know toms are there, they just didn’t want to come out to play today. Now to finish the saying:…is worth two in the bush. But if in the bush a lady should stand, a push in the bush is worth two in the hand.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

I set up about 500 yards East of yesterday’s spot. Still had a pretty fair bino view of that big plowed rice check. Sure enough, three robust and dark figures materialize in the dim morning light right in front of…you guessed it…where I sat yesterday. So yesterday, I watched birds stroll by where I set up today and today I watched ’em where I was yesterday. A few gobble responses to my yelps was all I could get out of ’em before they headed into the thick stuff between the edge of the field and river. Every time I think I have ’em pegged on this 500 acre lot I’ve been huntin’ for twenty years, they inform me I’m still not in charge.

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

As I hopped in the Jeep just before 5 am last Sat, I was second guessing myself as to why. The last few trips to this location ended up in futility. I have access to much more turkey rich & usually more productive areas. So why am I drawn back there again? Why punish myself? Because its the hunt, not the kill. Besides I had ’em all figured out this time. I’ll be set up right between the hen’s roost and the gobbler’s roost along the river just off the dirt rice check road. As light began to replace the dark, there began a chorus from at least three different birds sounding off to the East of me. It was beautiful. As that continued, I glassed the tilled field to the west of me just in time to see a group of hens fly down. The stage is now set. Gobbles to the right of me, yelps the the left, here I am, stuck in the middle of you… Sorry for that. Anyway, the multiple gobbles are now muffled. They’re on the ground. Each of my yelps brings a louder response. THEY,RE COMING! I expected to see them round the bend 200 yards out any minute and come running down the road. BOOM…BOOM… and all was quiet. But that wasn’t me that went boom…boom! I was on 500 acres of private property supposed to be by myself. Apparently not. Someone or someones snuck in from the bordering property out of sight from my set up. Never did see who it was. All I know was the gobbling stopped. I hunted other parts of the property and only glimpsed a couple hens the remainder of the day.

Scott Walsh
    Participant

That sucks Clayton. Did you ever figure out where they snuck in at? I had something somewhat similar happen I was at my friends place with my wife, 2 hours in to the hunt started to get the turkeys coming in…and wham her comes a lab running through the field.. the neighbor apparently decides to trespass and run his dog on my friends property while he is at work, my friend had no idea this was going on. The guy had no clue we where out there, I guess our camo worked good LOL..

Redneck Ron
    Participant

I cut me beard  down to a goat

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Redneck Ron.

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Scott, I do know where they came in, just don’t know who it was. There’s a road gate that’s normally closed between the property and a gravel processing plant. Some of the 500 acres I have access to is directly in front of the gravel plant. Since the land is currently being prepared for planting, the gate was left open for easy farm implement egress. I have keys for that gate & will usually lock it up if left open while I’m there hunting. However, I did not travel to that end of the property that morn.

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Last day of general season today. Accepted an invite to hunt with my boss on his land. I wasn’t after long beards, was more like “any beard. They’re all “trophies” to me anyway. This one flew down with a few hens and committed suicide about 30 yards out in front of the blind a little after 06:00. Nice way to start my day…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.