Excerpts from "Okie Tails"

Home Forums General Discussion The Lounge Excerpts from "Okie Tails"

This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Clayton "Leghold" Bolton Clayton “Leghold” Bolton 1 day, 13 hours ago.

This topic has been viewed 653 times.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

After some pictures, the chore of getting this porker back to the trucks was planned out. Josh a fairly sizable man, ran some harness straps through the hind legs and started the drag. As the rest of us carefully picked our way through the dark obstacle course by flashlight, Josh and Eric bulldozed their own path. All I could hear was the sound of breaking trees and brush as they proceeded on a more direct route.  You could probably drive a truck down the path they cleared out while dragging my beast up the side of the bluff.

Supper was waiting for us by the time we got back to the lodge. Man, these guys eat good around here! A nice buck was taken earlier by one of the other lodge guests while Adam and I were waiting for the hogs to come out and play. Josh surprised me with an intact venison heart. There wasn’t much left of the one in my deer. I trimmed, cut it into steaks and put it to brine for cookin’ up tomorrow.

Even though I didn’t get “the fever” as bad on this shoot, I was still pretty amp’d up. One shot drops with my little .30-30 two days in a row. Time for some shots of another kind and to relax a bit. After settling down some, I realized I had a few puncture wounds still containing cactus thorns in various locations on my body from retrievin’ the pig. Not sure why I didn’t feel them earlier. Maybe I’m just a little exhausted.

DL, Julie, Adam and I, along with a ton of camera gear are going to load up around 06:00 and head out to the “Trailer Trash Blind” to catch up on filming we couldn’t do earlier in the week.

Before heading out, Julie brought out some great Union Sportsmen’s Alliance swag. She presented me with a USA logo hat and outfitter’s shirt adorned with patches of Realtree camo, a pair of 8 X 42 Steiner binoculars and my favorite type of goody, a new Buck skinnin’ knife with my name laser engraved on the blade. WOW! What a beauty! I like knives!

The reenactment filming went pretty quick and it put us back at the lodge by 9:00. I donned my new hat, shirt and knife. I looked like a true USA outfitter guide kinda’ guy (well… sorta’). Now it’s time to relax with some football and new friends until dinner time.

As flames reflected off the faces from the campfire dancing in the pit, DL’s and Julie’s dogs, Cello and Banjo, enjoyed their freedom while chasing shadows and playing with each other. Bad jokes and somewhat embellished hunting stories from the past were being shared between hunters. It didn’t take much to talk DL into retrieving his guitar for some campfire entertainment. This is hunting camp at its finest, a true “brotherhood”. As the fire died down, toasts, handshakes and compliments flowed out to Brett, Josh and Eric of Western Oklahoma Trophy Outfitters. And special thanks to Daniel Lee Martin and Julie McQueen. What a perfect finale to a perfect adventure.

My dreams were filled with visions of critters dropping in their tracks. I didn’t want to get up, but needed to get packed to meet our intended departure time. I stepped outside with a cup of coffee to watch my last Oklahoma sunrise. I gazed over the vast open landscape. Every part of this great country I’ve traveled presents its own inherent beauty. This place was no different in that respect. And it will be sad to leave my new found friends behind.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.