Happy Father's Day

Home Forums General Discussion The Lounge Happy Father's Day

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Redneck Ron 4 months ago.

This topic has been viewed 765 times.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Redneck Ron
    Participant

I want to wish my brothers-Happy Father’s Day!!!

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Thanks Ron! Happy daddy day to you too. Sure miss mine…

Redneck Ron
    Participant

Clayton-Do you think you would or could share one story about your father?

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Thanks to dad, my love and respect of the “Great” outdoors started early in my life.  My family began backpacking into desolate wilderness areas when I was around six years old. Dad had purchased a wild donkey caught in the high mountain deserts of Nevada for 25 bucks that was judged to be around a year old. After many months of work, Mr. Barney was “pack broke” and acted kinda’ like a big dog. Although he wasn’t much for riding, he would follow us almost anywhere.

The aeronautical engineer side of dad allowed him to design and fabricate some extremely light weight aluminum pack boxes for a greater useful load. This let us pack in a four man rubber raft along with the tents, food, and other camp gear needed for long journeys. We could row troll high mountain lakes that had probably never had a boat on them before us.

I just couldn’t wait for school to be out and summer to come along. That meant, two to three weeks at a time, high into the cool mountains when the valley temps topped 100. We would stay at the lakes where the “fishin’ was best”, kept ‘em cool during the day packed in the banks of snow that never melted at that altitude, and supplement the food we packed in with our catch. We always seemed to be able to camp where we wanted, because in the mid 1960’s it was not unusual to not see another person the whole trip.

Dad and mom were very patient (and brave) to take, brother, sister and I (the middle child), on such trips at our young age. Even though our pack animal carried the brunt of the load, we still all carried our own clothes, bed roll and gear on our own backs. We were in dad and mom’s outdoor classroom at all times. It was quite the experience learning how to survive. What to do if lost, build shelters, know what plants are safe to eat,… well you get the idea.

Dad and I were never far apart throughout my life. He taught me to fish, shoot, hunt, and even fly airplanes. He was the most kind and honest person anyone could have met. A little over eleven years ago we had made plans for another fly-in fishing trip to BC as soon as I finished the annual inspection and some repairs on his airplane. We never made it. He passed suddenly.

Father’s day is still a little teary for me. When I spend this day with my family, I just can’t help but to think my dad is still there with us.

Redneck Ron
    Participant

My father passed away a little over a year ago and was a retired Caterpillar tractor UAW worker (LOCAL 974).  My parents were visiting me when I was station at Holloman AFB in NM right after my Dad retired from Cat. My father and I went to bar only once together to drink some beer and shoot some pool.   We are not good pool shooters and you throw in beer.  It was a fun/funny time to remember.

My father taught me a lot about hunting and how to be the rabbit dog (I was the briar boy).  The greatest respect for the Land, People’s property, and kindness to the owners.  I grew up in Illinois where you hunted on farm property, you always asked permission and never trespassed.

I have lived in New Mexico for about 28 years, 4 months and 3 days (like I am counting).  My father’s ears would perk up when I talked about hunting deer and elk, camping and fishing.  He always loved the stories.  When I had the chance to take to see the long NM vistas and the sunsets.  You could see him lost in dreams because he always like the mountains and views.

The last time I visited before he passed away.  I told my father I would never be half the man you are.  He said son, “you done alright”!  That is possibly the biggest compliment my father ever gave me.

My father is missed.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Redneck Ron.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Redneck Ron.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.