Locked & Loaded!

Home Forums Hunting Discussion Big Game Discussion Locked & Loaded!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Clayton Bolton 1 week ago.

This topic has been viewed 651 times.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Actually it’s more like loaded and locked up. My Jeep, that is (minus guns [yet]). I’m ready to go! Original plan was to be in deer camp this afternoon. This past week wasn’t too kind to me, so I’ve had to modify my departure time to early morning opening day. It’s only about a 2 hr drive for me. My brother and his son-in-law are already there. The trail cams have been promising. Four decent bucks and a 450 LB (approx) blackie been religiously prowling the place.  Weather forecast is good. So…I get to take my gun(s) for a walk tomorrow. With any luck…

Redneck Ron
    Participant

Good Luck

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Well…”deer camp” didn’t produce anything in the morning for anyone. No sightings, no sounds, not even a distant shot was to be heard. That’s hunting. Luckily, my sister’s property is only about twenty minutes from camp. She too had some game cam pics that showed a lot of promise. One buck in particular, was a 3 x 3, but it hadn’t been seen since his full velvet stage. I found him just before dark. After the shot, afterburners kicked in and the dust cloud tornado’d down the hill out of eyesight. I knew it was a good hit, but was afraid I’d spend the night look’n for him. He only ran about 30 yards over the ridge before piling up in the brush. Skin’n by headlight & flashlight sucks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Better view of the parts ya can’t eat…

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Pic didn’t load

Attachments:

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

“Little piece O’my my heart”… Oh My…but gotta save some for later…

Attachments:

maineguy68
    Participant

Very nice!  I would say the majority of my bucks were killed in the morning, but I have been in your shoes, after a last minute buck.  They are special.  Looks like good eating too brother!

My hunt will be in November.  Dad says he is coming to camp with me! Every year he says its his last……Cant wait!

Mike

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Thanks Mike. Keep hunts with your dad close to ya (and post pics for me). Wish I could of had more with mine.

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

Rack soup… nice to have my freezer almost full again… backstrap (and Octoberfest) for dinner…

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.