Not a booner

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Clayton "Leghold" Bolton Clayton “Leghold” Bolton 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

This topic has been viewed 94 times.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Todd  Huttner
    Todd Huttner
    Participant

Not my first or best, but it is a buck nonetheless.  A short midweek morning sit presented a perfect opportunity to put some meat in the freezer!  Nov 9, 2016 at Foothills State forest outside Backus, MN

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Congrats Todd. They’re all trophies to me, no matter how big (or small) it is. I like freezer meat too.

Profile photo of Redneck Ron
    Redneck Ron
    Participant

You don’t need a trophy to put meat in the Freezer and bet it will be tender meat.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Redneck Ron Redneck Ron.
    Profile photo of maineguy68
    maineguy68
    Participant

“Trophy” Hunting is over rated.  We need to focus on the roots of hunting, and that is to put food on the table.  Great job.  Congrats.

Profile photo of Todd  Huttner
    Todd Huttner
    Participant

What was a first for me on this buck was heart and liver – never forced to eat liver as a kid, so I have no bad memories/experiences to get past.  Fried with caramelized onions was delicious!

I marinated the heart and pan-fried it up the next day.  This is a go-to recipe for me from now on!

Until a handful of years ago, the heart never made it outta camp. Always pan fried it up as part of the kill celebration. Then one year on a last day, last light solo hunt kill in nasty WX, I took the heart home and cooked it up there to share with my wife. After that, I was instructed to ALWAYS bring the heart home.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.