Take advantage of every day

Home Forums General Discussion The Lounge Take advantage of every day

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Esty 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

This topic has been viewed 396 times.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Scott Walsh
    Participant

2017 was a year of first for the family. The past couple years I had some heart issues in 2016 I had to have a cardiac ablation done due to PSVT (heart rate of 200+) then January of 2017 I had a heart attack at work which obviously scared the crap out of me, but at that point things where put into perspective, I said enough was enough and I vowed to spend as much time as possible in the outdoors ( what we love and enjoy the most) as possible with my family. So that’s what we did it so far it was one of the greatest hunting and fishing years of my life. My son and wife nailed their first ducks. We hit the grouse and woodcock woods hard with our dogs and we both took our first wood cocks. I got to take my son Sean who will be 10 in April, to his first deer camp and spend time with him in the deer blind and watch him take his first deer. All memories I will cherish forever. Life is short make the most of every day. Money is tight with medical bills and everyday life but we try to make getting outdoors a priority. The old saying goes I may not have a million dollars but at least I had a million dollars of fun! It has been awhile since I have been on here but have been keeping up with some of you on facebook. Hope to spend more time on here miss seeing the posts.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Clayton Bolton
    Participant

A family that hunts together… eats well together

Scott Walsh
    Participant

Yes for sure the pride on Sean’s face every time I make venison is priceless.

Ray Staggs
    Participant

Scott, you are so right. NONE of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Like you, I love the outdoors and was able to retire at a young age. The flip side is my family tree doesn’t really goes pass 65 on one side of my family. I try to make as many memories I can with my family members and my lab. Hang in there and keep plugging away my friend!

maineguy68
    Participant

Scott, I remember the facebook posts of your deer hunting with your boy.  I remember that his buck was a lot like my first.  I do not, however, remember you saying anything about your health.  My doctor has told me that the warranty runs out after 40. My grandfather passed at the age of 52.  Ray Staggs really put genetics in perspective…….make those memories brother.  I’m doing the same.  Always keep this in the back of your mind……”just one more deer season”.

Mike

Scott Walsh
    Participant

For sure genetics play a huge role my doctor told me the same thing. My dad and all 6 of his brothers and sisters had heart attacks in their 40’s, his sister passed away at 44 and his mom at 50. The rapid heart rate I found out came from my grandma on my mothers side, so I got a double whammy.Prior to my son being born I smoked and ate junk, I quit smoking and changed my eating habits as well as got into physical fitness, the doctor told me if I hadn’t made those changes that heart attack would have killed me. I don’t let the little things bother me any more and have become a lot more patient then I used to be. There is always time to make money but not enough time to make memories, and I am into making memories now. I have 5 more years to go till I retire!!

Michael Esty
    Participant

Scott

Great post. I’m a Carpenter. Superintendent but a Carpenter first and foremost. I build hospitals. That’s what I do. Talk to Doctors and nurses constantly. I’ve seen a lot. Maybe too much. But I’ve also learned a lot. Maybe too much. LOL. One thing I’m aware of and probably so are you people. The medical profession has made many great advances. Especially with Cardiac Care. You do the right thing. Eat well, get out and get exercise. Take meds. You will live for a long, long time. Thanks for sharing because now I’m going to practice what I preach. Everyone enjoy the outdoors now that spring has finally shown up. Enjoy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.