Looking for a simple yet delicious recipe you can make at home with a variety of cuts from different wild game? This burger recipe is fantastic for elk, venison, even pronghorn! It’s fast, flexible and delicious – definitely one that you are going to want to bookmark for later – but simple enough to remember!
Watch a short video featuring Chef Cuco preparing this wild game burger.
How to Make the BEST Burger – Wild Game Edition
Prep Time: 5-minutes | Cook Time: 15-minutes | Total Time: 20-minutes
For the Patty
- 2 ½ pound patties
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
For the Burger
- 2 Burger Buns
- ½ Tablespoon Butter
- ¼ cup Arugula
- ½ cup Caramelized Onions
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
Pan Cooking Your Burger
- Pre-heat your pan over medium heat
- Add enough Olive Oil to coat your pan.
*IMPORTANT* Olive Oil will burn at too high a heat – be sure to not overheat your pan.
Use butter if you prefer to cook at a higher temperature.
- Season your patties both sides with salt & pepper.
- Add your patties to the pan – allow to cook fully for about 6-8 minutes per side.
Thinner patties will cook more quickly – thicker patties allow for more time.
- Cook your patties to your preferred serving temperature.
USDA Recommended ‘Safe Serving’ Temperature is 160 degrees.
- Rare – 120-125 degrees
- Med Rare – 130 – 135 degrees
- Medium 140-145 degrees
- Med well 150-155 degrees
- Well done – 160 – 165 degrees
- Remove from heat – allow to rest while you prepare your buns
Preparing Your Buns
- Add butter to the same pan you cooked your patties in.
- Place buns open face down onto the pan and move around to soak up butter from the pan
- Allow buns to toast for a short period of time
- Remove from heat
- Add Mayonnaise, Carmelized Onions & Greens to your burger bun
- Add any additional condiments you prefer (Mustard, ketchup, pickle, etc.)
Place your patties onto your prepared buns and serve immediately.
Pair with some home cut french fries, your favorite buds & suds.
The Union Sportsmen’s Alliance SMART Tips & Tricks series is proudly made possible by the following unions and union-friendly companies: