Curing is a great way to preserve your fish – and while many of us may be familiar with running the smoker; salt curing can be a healthy and delicious alternative!
Before beginning, please keep in mind that we only recommend the following preparation for cleanly sourced & properly handled salmon. While a healthy and delicious way to enjoy your fish the curing process serves to preserve the meat; but does not sanitize the meat the same way cooking does.
Watch this short video of Chef Cuco curing fresh salmon.
How to Cure Salmon & Serve Salmon Crudo
Prep Time: 10-minutes (+24 Hours to cure) | Cook Time: 5-minutes | Total Time: 15-minutes (+24 Hours to cure)
For the Cured Salmon
- Salmon Filet(s)
- Kosher Salt
- Granulated Sugar
- Fresh Ginger Root (Chopped)
- Fennel Seeds
For the Garnish
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Lemon Infused Olive Oil
Curing Your Salmon
- Line a 9×13 pan with plastic cling wrap. Enough to double over.
(Over twice the length of the pan)
- Press a light amount of fennel seeds into each side of your salmon.
- Place your salmon fillets in the pan.
- Coat one side of your salmon entirely with a thick layer of kosher salt.
- Coat one side of your salmon with a layer of granulated sugar.
- Finally, encrust one side of your salmon completely with your chopped ginger.
- Pull your cling wrap tightly over your coatings sealing completely, then flip your salmon over to the other side – repeat steps 4-6 with the opposite side.
- Place your cling wrap back over your fully coated salmon and get a large heavy object (we recommend another pan with items on top) to press weight consistently into the filet.
- Place into a fridge and allow to cure for at least 24 hours
Preparing Your Garnish
- Slice tomatoes in half
- Mix together greens (Micro-Arugula) and Lemon Infused Olive oil in a separate bowl
- Thinly slice your cured salmon on a diagonal plane; plating as you see fit.
- Place your tossed greens in a neat pile in the center of the dish.
- Spread your sliced cherry tomatoes across the plate.
- Drizzle with a bit of your lemon infused olive oil and serve fresh & chilled!
The Union Sportsmen’s Alliance SMART Tips & Tricks series is proudly made possible by the following unions and union-friendly companies: