Communications Internship (unpaid)
|Job Title:||Communications Intern (unpaid)||Reports to:||Communications & Marketing Manager|
|Location:||Franklin, TN||Travel Required:||N/A|
(Duration: 10-12 weeks, not to exceed 20 hours per week)
|Creation Date:||12/10/2015||Revision Date:||N/A|
|About the Organization|
|The Union Sportsmen’s Alliance (USA) is 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with the mission to unite the Union community through conservation to preserve North America’s outdoor heritage. The USA is an exciting conservation organization with a membership base of over 200,000 and a membership universe of more than 10 million active and retired members of AFL-CIO affiliated unions who love to hunt, fish, shoot and recreate outdoors.
We engage, educate and organize union members, their families and like-minded individuals who share a passion for hunting, fishing, shooting and the great outdoors. Our members volunteer their time and unique trade skills to expand and improve public access to the outdoors, conserve and maintain critical wildlife habitats, restore our nation’s parks and provide mentoring programs that introduce youth to the outdoors.
|Qualifications & Educational Requirements|
|To succeed in this role, Communications Intern applicants must meet the following requirements:
· College junior or senior working toward a bachelor’s degree in mass communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field.
· Minimum GPA of 2.7
· Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Strong desire to experience multiple areas of communications field
· Desire to improve professional and interpersonal skills while learning to both give and receive feedback
· Passion for conservation and the outdoors is encouraged, but not required
|Job Description & Physical Demands|
The Communications Intern will report directly with the Communications & Marketing Manager and assist as needed in the communications department in all areas, receiving instruction and feedback along the way.
General Role and Responsibilities
· Write press releases, feature articles, news articles
· Assist in managing social media accounts, including running campaigns and contests
· Assist in production of quarterly magazine, The Union Sportsmen’s Journal
· Respond to media inquiries
· Assist in marketing efforts with corporate partners
· Assist with email marketing
· Assist with speechwriting/presentation creation for executive staff
· Assist with website management and content creation
· Assist with special projects (Annual Report, new print collateral, etc.)
· Provide input on projects, processes, methods as requested
· Assist with mailings
· Assign duties as outlined above
· Provide constructive critiques and feedback on completed assignments
· Provide instruction in multiple communications disciplines
· Provide opportunities to work with executive leadership
· Provide opportunities to work with third-party vendors and freelancers
· Meet regularly to evaluate skills and progress, and also to receive feedback from Communications Intern on experience
· Complete paperwork needed for academic credit
Working conditions are primarily in an office setting with occasional travel to events within reasonable driving distance. This position may be required to sit or stand for the majority of the work day.
Interested Applicants can apply be emailing a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.